Taami, Jerusalem: Best Hummus Ever

Hummus Place NYC Dethroned

Taami Jerusalem

Taami has been serving quick lunches to Jerusalemites for just over 50 years from the same unassuming location under the ownership of the same Bulgarian family. There are rarely any foreigners or Americans in there – which is a good sign. The service is quick, almost rushed, but very efficient. The Hummus is sublime, arriving minutes after having been ordered with a warm layer of chickpeas on top, accompanied by the usual fresh pita, pickles and onions. Best humus so far and it’s kosher too. But like real kosher, with a teudah and not open on shabbat… like some places I know.

Taami is located on Shamai street, between Hillel and Ben Yehudah, from 8 am to 4:30 pm (except on Saturday). Its minutes away from all the cheesy downtown places and much, much better.

A tip of the hat to Harry.
He Knows Things. Seriously.

1. Geoff

2/3/2005 at 10:12 am

“foreigners or Americans?” In Israel wouldn’t Americans be a subset of foreigners? Or are they part of a separate group.

2. celestial blue

2/3/2005 at 12:12 pm

ok, well, I’m officially jealous now.
    *pout*

And Geoffy-Poo, you are a funny guy!

2/3/2005 at 12:17 pm

Well Geoff, or can I call you Geoffy-Poo? In any case, there are many Americans in Jerusalem who have made Aliyah and are Israeli citizens. They do not often frequent Taami, tending instead to congregate, when they come to town, at places like Cafe Hillel and the like. Thank you for pointing out that discrepancy and allowing me to explain.

4. ariela

2/3/2005 at 12:45 pm

I second CKs assessment of Taami. Fookin’ good (But I must say, tastes almost -exactly- like the chummus from Lina in the old city).

5. Geoff

2/3/2005 at 2:32 pm

Oh CB – you flatter me so!

And thanks ck – and you can call me whatever you want, just call me. So why is it a good sign if there are no Americans there? Do Americans generally have bad taste in hummus?

6. T_M

2/3/2005 at 2:44 pm

Geoff, I have to agree with your line of questioning.

7. zark

2/3/2005 at 3:23 pm

check out pinati on king george.

mmm…psychedelic olive oil..

8. Grandmuffti

2/3/2005 at 5:11 pm

CK, Muffti would like to know if you spend any of your time doing anything besides seeking out hummus? Seriously, Muffti worries about ya. Michael, see you Sunday afternoon. Y’owe him a shirt, CK.

9. Michael

2/3/2005 at 10:21 pm

We don’t have good hummus in New Orleans, sadly…even though the local hookah lounge is run by Israelis, its hummus sucks and it’s not kosher.

But one thing we do have is a great abundance of heavily alcoholic beverages and drive-thru daiquiri stands.

Stay tuned as (one/fifth of) Jewlicious and Kosher Eucharist “do” Mardi Gras. Or something.

10. ariela

2/4/2005 at 4:09 am

ck — here’s another idea for a “musaf” column (as it were) — “Ask Harry,” a chance for the rest of us to get “in the know” with the dude who “knows things.”

He could be like the Intelligencier of Israel, the Jedi of Jewlicious, the Connoisseur of Canaan, the Master of Modi’in… I dunno… (I like alliteration, what can I say).

I’m thinking weekly column, a Dear Abby for the little (Jewish) people.

We’d have to run it by him, of course. : P

11. Pingback: Jewlicious » The New Zionist Revolution.

12. Pingback: f00die » Best Humus Ever (2nd’ed)

13. ngieenmaak

6/18/2007 at 9:24 am

> Do Americans generally have bad taste in hummus?

Americans have bad taste period.

14. Pingback: f00die » Best Hummus Ever

15. Pingback: Really, all other hummus should be ashamed of itself. « Jerusalem: Summer 2008

16. Pingback: Hummus Smackdown ‘08, part two « Jerusalem: Summer 2008