Jewlicious Burger?

Crazy delicious or just plain crazy?

Crazy delicious or just plain crazy?

Yes. Inspired by the Brooklyn Burger “a hamburger of such decadent and epic proportion that it would literally make women weep, men question their faith in God, and angels leap out of the clouds and sing. Mostly, we wanted it to be crazy delicious,” I decided to create a kosher, vegetarian version. Why should goyim have all the fun?

What is the Brooklyn Burger? It’s basically a high quality cheeseburger topped with chocolate coated bacon. A kosher version of this burger would be nearly impossible to reproduce in Jerusalem, but in New York it seems like everything is kosher and everyone is Jewish! I used Smart Bacon by Lightlife and Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime Veggie Burgers for the meat. I also used Kosher swiss cheese, sesame seed buns, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and Milk Chocolate for the filler.

I melted the chocolate in a microwave on low heat for three minutes, stirring it every minute. The smart bacon I fried for 2 minutes and laid on a paper towel to get rid of the excess grease. I then dipped the bacon strips in the chocolate and put them on a plate in the freezer for 10 minutes. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms and sliced the tomato.

I used two burgers and put cheese on top of both. The burger when done looked kind of ridiculous but it was surprisingly good – although Kelsey hated it. Oh well! Try it at home and let us know who was right – me or Kelsey the kvetcher!

Hey do you think Jcarrot will link to us? Is this what they mean by the New Jewish Food movement? No animals were killed in the production of this post. Only Kelsey was harmed…

3/18/2009 at 8:08 pm

See, now I believe there is a God. Because this video is evidence that God created meat for a reason.

Chocolate on veggie food? Blech!

3/18/2009 at 8:23 pm

It was an awesome burger. And no chance of mad cow disease!

3. tzvee

3/18/2009 at 9:57 pm

ugh, the words “one sick puppy” came to mind, but i mean that in the nicest way!

4. Susanne Goldstone

3/19/2009 at 10:00 am

one time i made a bacon cheeseburger using morningstar products (btw, their bacon far surpasses smart bacon, and this is from a girl that couldn’t get enough of her treif bacon when she was a kid). i made the burger, doorbell rings. it was my chassidic nextdoor neighbor wondering what the glorious smell was. the apartment reeked of bacon smell@ i told her it was chulent. she left knowing something was up. i guess a veg bacon cheeseburger isn’t in the “spirit” of kashrut. but thats not stopping me.

5. HalfSours

3/19/2009 at 11:46 am

That looks ‘out-of-control’ delicious. I wish I had been there!

6. Tiff

3/19/2009 at 11:48 am

i can’t believe you made that. ate it, yes. but made it? i’m kinda impressed.

7. Aziza Toledano

3/19/2009 at 8:48 pm

Dauwid, what’s wrong with Matbouha, Hatzilim and the fresh Pitot from Sarah’s shop?

8. J.Miller

3/20/2009 at 11:19 am

That is nasty.Just goes to show fat ass americans will anything if you put chocolate on it.First off if im eating bacon it is turkey bacon and second a burger is not a burger without BEEF.

3/20/2009 at 11:24 am

ck isn’t an American. Not even close.

But you’re right that a burger ain’t a burger without beef. I like to throw a little chopped garlic into my mix before I make the patties. Yum!

Oh, and if you’re not grilling, why bother?

3/20/2009 at 11:33 am

Talking about grilling, I’m hopeful to buy something like this: arctic-product...

11. Pingback: So Good Blog/News Round-Up 3/24/09 | So Good

12. Pingback: The Authentic Jewish Reuben Sandwich?Append to Browser Title

13. Pingback: How Jewish Is A Reuben Sandwich? : Jewlicious Festival | TIKKUNFEST | Camp Jewlicious