Buy Streits Matzos This Passover!

LES Reprazent!

LES Reprazent!

No matter what you may have heard from the 5 Towns Vaad HaKashrus, I know they’re kosher for Passover because I am pretty sure God told me so in a dream last night. Either that or I fell asleep talking to Kelsey or something.

You can read more about this retarded controversy at Failed Messiah (Happy Pesach Shmarya!) and The Kvetcher (I’m coming for your children Kelsey! You can run but you can’t hide!!).

Streits is the only independent, family owned Matza bakery in the US and has been owned by the same family for roughly 800 years. More or less.

4/8/2009 at 8:30 am

We need some more, so Streit’s it is.

Should I avoid buying anything with the OU stamp on it?

4/8/2009 at 9:33 am

That would leave you without Entenmann’s, Middle. :)

But oh yeah, go oldschool and use your own good sense and thinking to determine what’s kosher and what’s not. That’s how they used to do it in the Old World, and it worked for them. (And they were a couple of generations closer to Mount Sinai, which is thought of giving them more relevance.)

3. AE

4/8/2009 at 9:40 am

Retarded? Really? That’s the best adjective you can come up with?

4/8/2009 at 9:44 am

ck has a real dearth of adjectives in his vocabulary. When he says “retarded,” that’s the equivalent of a 16 syllable adjective for erudite people like you, AE.

What adjectives do you propose?

Froylein,

Have a lovely Passover. Are you with family?

4/8/2009 at 9:46 am

He also calls me retarded so I suppose it’s not so bad afterall even though I’ve been 30 now for almost a week and still have got two baby teeth, so I’m indeed a little retarded.

6. Tom Morrissey

4/8/2009 at 10:13 am

Good to hear froylein’s physical decline will progress very, very slowly.

7. Ephraim

4/8/2009 at 1:17 pm

…..the hell?

I’ve already got my matzah, but if I had known about this I would have loaded up on Streit’s.

It’s shit like this that make people turn their backs on Yiddishkeit. How can they act like this?

8. Rabbi Yonah

4/8/2009 at 3:40 pm

Ah nostaglia – sadly this doesn’t add up with reality anymore. Good sense in the age of industrial food production doesn’t cut it. You have NO IDEA what goes on at these places.

In the old days you could walk in to the back and see Mo making his pickles. Today you are lucky if they are even made in an industrialized country.

I have to advise everyone that if someone works in Kashrut, their opinion over other companies supervision cannot and should not be taken too seriously.

Let me explain – if the Rabbis from the Vaad of Wherever are supervising kashrut – one should take with a grain of salt anything they say about a competitor.

I have no idea of Streits has fallen gotten better, who knows. None of us do.

But the question is: Did anyone care what these two Vaads said about anything else previously?

Go buy Streits and have a freaking AWESOME chag.

4/8/2009 at 4:48 pm

Rabbi Yonah, this still adds up with reality unless people buy convience food only. I’ve got a few friends that are mashgiachim (way stricter than OU), and even they think they’re providing a service to make people’s lives easier – afterall people have to trust them and their supervision. (Try to find hechshered products in Germany other than boxed matzah and crackers from Israel outside US military bases and the big cities, the communities of which partly bulk-shop in Antwerp.)

Cum grano salis, alcoholic ferementation requires micro-organisms to do the work. So basically, vegetarians that drink alcohol do not only consume animals, they also endorse slave labour of micro-organisms. ;)

Have an enjoyable Pessach!

10. el_Sheik!

4/9/2009 at 7:47 pm

It reminds me when Chabad Rabbis came to my city’s Hebrew School to give out Matzahs and told all the students that non-Chabad Matzahs weren’t kosher… including the ones made by the century-old OU-supervised Yanovsky Family.

People were SO pissed at them!! Ironically, the Chabad-sponsored “Kosher super-market” a block from my house sells that brand!

11. Pingback: All hell broke loose right before Pesach — The Kvetcher

12. TeaneckJew

4/11/2009 at 9:49 pm

The VAAD should be ashamed.

We ONLY buy Striets in my family and will continue to do so.

13. Chutzpah

4/13/2009 at 9:04 pm

For some strange reason I had an urge to buy hand shmurah matzah for our seder. I went to the local “Kosher Konnection” and found it priced at Eighteen Dollars and 50 freakin’ sense! I knew it would be expensive but I didn’t expect it to be priced as if it had over a pound of lobster in it! I did wind up paying $12.50 at Acme for a box of hand shmurah which was imported from Israel. My mother got a case of Streits for free her Supermarket and the kids enjoyed it more that the “real” stuff… FREE is good for the holiday of Freedom!

14. Michael Steczo

2/26/2010 at 11:52 pm

Is the Streit name a German name or a Jewish name ?

• froylein

2/27/2010 at 3:14 am

“Streit” means “quarrel” (non-violent, as in an argument) in German. I hope that answers your question.