Happy 5th Anniversary Jewlicious!

A Self Congratulatory Post and another Jewlicious Prank!
Jewlicious began 5 years ago on July 2004. In that time we have written nearly 5,000 posts and generated nearly 70,000 comments. We’ve also run 5 Jewlicious Festivals, the last of which attracted nearly 1000 participants, much to the consternation of the Long Beach Fire Department I’m sure. I’ve been blessed to be associated with some of the coolest people I know as fellow writers, including The Middle and Muffti who were here right from the get go. Running Jewlicious is often a thankless task. Unlike others, we never got fancy shmancy funding for offices in New York equipped with a wet bar, ping pong and fooz ball tables. But I did get to meet and befriend some awesome people, like the army of volunteers that make the Jewlicious Festival happen and most notably Rachel Bookstein, her husband Rabbi Yonah, and their totally edible children.

There are other things that make working on Jewlicious so rewarding, like running into people that know me from the blog in Jerusalem and being told the role we played in their decision to attend Hebrew University or some Yeshiva or a MASA program. One message I got the other day totally made me smile as well. An ex’s niece sent me a message on facebook wondering about the provenance of all the notes I wrote. Turns out Renée had no idea what Jewlicious was but “I really enjoyed the ones I had read! Seriously, I found all of them to be well written and pretty interesting! (The one about JDate was very amusing, as was “Dear Hamas, Take Me!”)” She later added that “Oh! I forgot to mention that some of my friends where reading the stories from jewlicious.com ! They really enjoyed them!” Renée is an unaffiliated Jewish student at McGill and exactly the sort of smart, talented kind of Jew we always wanted to reach. Also appreciated are kind words from colleagues I deeply respect like Matthue Roth over at My Jewish Learning and Dan Brown at eJewish Philanthropy.

Less fun is some of the bile and invective I’ve attracted from members of the doucheoisie over the years. One former blogger is still telling anyone who will listen to stay away from Jewlicious and from me, years after I have had any interaction with him. This has been cutting into my bottom line and despite all my efforts to just stay out of his way, he doesn’t seem to know how to stop. So the gloves are off asshole. Expect repercussions.

Speaking of repercussions, and this is where the fun “prank” part of the post comes in, there’s a current blogger who has jumped at any opportunity to talk trash about me, accusing me of being a cyber bully, an utterer of anti-gay slurs and a thief. He wrote a typically shoddy Birthright related post the other day about Momo Lifshitz of Oranim and used an image that I created to illustrate it. When informed by one of his readers that I held the copyright on that image, rather than give credit where credit is due, he merely switched the photo to another one of Momo.

0momo1

But that’s where the dolt fucked up. Not only did he not acknowledge the source of the image, he linked directly to the image thus not only violating Oranim’s copyright, but also stealing their bandwidth! Thus, much in the vein of previous Jewlicious pranks (see this one against Nazis and this one against an anti Israel douchebag), the staff at Oranim gave me and everyone at Jewlicious a much appreciated 5th anniversary gift:

0momo2

I’m not mentioning this thief’s name nor linking directly to his site (though feel free to use this URL) so that we can at least derive some compensation by laughing at him for as long as possible. Once he figures out what an idiot he is, then I will link away. In the meantime, thanks to everyone for everything. You all rock!

1. igoogledisrael

7/14/2009 at 4:13 am

Mazal Tov Jewlicious! 5 years eh? I’ve only been reading you lately, sorry to say, but you almost make me want to be Jewish! Chuck in some free Halva burekas for life and I might just convert. :-)

2. ybocher

7/14/2009 at 4:34 am

Happy birthday, mazal tov, sto lat!
    If you enjoying it so much shall we wish you ad 120 too?

Seriously thank you very very much

ybocher (retired)

3. Michael Shepherd

7/14/2009 at 5:52 am

I’ve stopped reading my morning newspaper first thing in the a.m. and instead go straight to the Jewlicious posts on Twitter first thing. It’s become my new habit…

4. puggerhugger

7/14/2009 at 9:00 am

Happy fifth anniversary!

5. Pingback: The Day In Israel: Tues July 14th, 2009 | Israellycool

6. lori

7/14/2009 at 11:32 am

A blessing on your head, Mazal Tov, Mazal Tov.

7. Grand Muffti

7/14/2009 at 11:47 am

Muffti is one of of the coolest people you know? *blush*

CK — gonna meet in ‘pest or what? 2 days til the Jefe lands.

8. xisnotx

7/14/2009 at 11:56 am

major pwnage. happy anniversary, CK

9. Eden

7/14/2009 at 12:15 pm

Mazel tov Jewlicious, and many many happy returns to this day!!!!!

10. Jack

7/14/2009 at 1:02 pm

Mazal Tov, another alter cocker of the Jblogosphere. ;)

11. rozi

7/14/2009 at 1:42 pm

This is just brilliant. I award you with 18 (you know, Chai) sacks of Jew gold.

And congrats Jewlicious, it’s been a pleasure reading ya!

7/14/2009 at 1:46 pm

5 years? No wonder I have nothing left to say. ;)

13. Mike Darnell

7/14/2009 at 2:09 pm

Why do I love Jewlicious?
    Cause for 5 years it’s been beating the shmucks at their own game.

CK you know I love you.
    Keep sticking it to the MAN
    : )

I dedicate the following to my parasitic brethren on the happy occasion of Jewlicious’s 5th birthday.
    YO BOZOS!
    CK built this city on Rock’n’Roll, not Schnorr.

Now do us all a favor, quit leaching of philathropists, get a life and stop being an embarrassment to the Zionist ideal.

youtube.com/wa...

Lamb of God/Redneck
    ——————-
    So Goddamn easy to write this,
    You make it spill off the page.
    So drunk on yourself, self-righteous,
    A laughing stock of your own fucking stage.

Oh but I ain’t one to call names,
    Or throw stones in a house of glass,
    You try me.

This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    The only one you could ever need.
    This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    You try me.

Just one time you got a reason,
    But you had nothing to lose.
    A blind preacher for the pin-eyed congregation,
    It must be easy to loathe.

Oh but I ain’t one to call names,
    Or throw stones in a house of glass,
    You try me.

This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    The only one you could ever need.
    This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    You try me.

You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
    But it never gets any more true.
    So close your eyes once more and once more believe,
    That they all still believe in you.

Just one time!

This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    The only one you could ever need.
    This is a motherfuckin’ invitation.

Just one time!

This is a motherfuckin’ invitation,
    Ya’ try me.

Just one time!(ya’ try me)
    Just one time!(ya’ try me)

Ya’ try me.
    ———–

Brought to you by the Feed Mike Initiative, @pop_art and Schwartz inc.
    tr.im/feedme

14. Mike Darnell

7/14/2009 at 2:47 pm

PS
    IMHO the only thing missing here on Jewlicious are some water fowl. Preferably geese or ducks.
    You know what. Scratch the geese. Just ducks.
    Can we have ducks CK?

Couldn’t we have just one post with ducks?

Would you at least think about it?
    Look how much fun we could have – duckmylife.com

Pretty please?

; )
    Happy birthday!
    מזל טוב

15. Tom Morrissey

7/14/2009 at 2:52 pm

The pope wants you to do the jacket for the softbound version of his latest encyclical.

Happy Cinqo de Jewlicious!

16. Sarah

7/14/2009 at 4:05 pm

Happy happy birthday to Jewlicious! Keep up the good work.

17. Bar Mitzvah Photographer

7/14/2009 at 4:17 pm

Congrats!

18. Naftali

7/14/2009 at 4:58 pm

Great job on the Silverstein, a truly onerous kapo. He is as far as I’m concerned a direct ally of Hamas and Islamic Jihad. Yemach Shmo Vezichro!

19. Rabbi Yonah

7/14/2009 at 5:48 pm

I can’t believe that it has been 5 years , and then I look at my kids and realize that they grew up on Jewlicious these last five years. They are huge now. I mean giant. I dont know what they put in the water here.

So from the Giant Bookstein Kids to CK and all my blogmates- LCHAIM!

20. Jacob da Jew

7/14/2009 at 8:07 pm

Mazal Tov! Five hundred more!

21. Self-Aggrandizer

7/14/2009 at 8:42 pm

Some prank. Sounds more like you\’re just a shitty webmaster who doesn\’t know to lock down his clients\’ servers.

htaccesstools....

22. DK

7/14/2009 at 10:46 pm

5 years is very established in Zionist years. Anyway, mazel tov.

23. Ruth

7/14/2009 at 10:59 pm

Bon Anniversaire!

You are righ about the douchoisie whose most famous member is the dreaded RS. Just visited his site. What a weirdo. CK, why does he hate you?
    You know he is published often on CIF. I can’t believe he finds a market for his inanities. His latest “article” there generated over 300 posts!

7/15/2009 at 12:38 am

Hey Self-Aggrandizer, the victims of Richard Silverstein’s theft are not my clients. And I’m not a “web master,” shitty or otherwise. And while it’s not much of a prank, I’ve pulled much better ones, it has spread joy and laughter far and wide at the expense of one of the most reviled individuals on the Web. It has also exposed him as both a thief and a hypocrite, something he often accuses others of. And now it is recorded for posterity on our very own servers! More importantly, it showed that theft doesn’t pay.

25. Aussie Dave

7/15/2009 at 1:37 am

Happy birthday Jewlicious and special props to you, ck, my friend, for showing Silverstein up time and time again and getting his panties up in a bunch.

Good times.

26. vicki

7/15/2009 at 7:34 am

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Jewlicious, and Mazal Tov, ck! As with Rabbi Yonah, I feel like I grew up with the website as I read it starting with freshman year in college, except I am now mentally five instead of physically five. Oh well, we lose some, we regress some. I am kol kach smecha that this site exists.

7/15/2009 at 7:37 am

And we’re happy to have you here, Vicki. Your contributions are much appreciated.

28. Josh

7/15/2009 at 1:09 pm

Years ago, when Silverstein was first starting up his ridiculous blog, he and I talked a lot on a blog user group forum (since defunct… I wish I could find his old posts, but alas, no archive anywhere on the interwebs) about the ethics and legality of using photos found online in your blog.

He insists that it’s ok to lift pictures from anywhere and place them on his blog. He thinks his crappy blog’s decoration is of paramount importance, and that he’s free to post whatever pics he wants. I called him on this on his blog once, and he got pretty defensive. See the comments on this post: richardsilvers...

Incidentally, many years ago he was sued (or threatened with a lawsuit) by a magazine author for posting much of her article on his blog. If memory serves, I think he actually paid out a settlement.

Nice job busting him. The “Richard Silverstein is a Thief” image is priceless.

29. Josh

7/15/2009 at 1:40 pm

Also, you gotta love this. From Silverstein’s “Terms of Use”:

“Please do not link directly to any image or music files on my site. You’re more than welcome to copy images and music files and host them on your own site (giving me a link and credit at your site would be nice and under the conditions listed above). Just don’t link to what’s on my site, because you and all your visitors will essentially be stealing bandwidth, which I pay for. While I generally like people making use of my site, I don’t like paying for your visitors making use of your site. Besides, if you try to linking directly to my music files and images they will not display at your site because of a feature I’ve activated through my webhost.”

What a hypocritical prick.

30. arielle

7/15/2009 at 2:02 pm

mazel tov & happy b-day Jewlicious. honored to be counted as part of something so awesome. and someone thought my jdate post was amusing! :) sweet.

31. aaron

7/15/2009 at 3:38 pm

Five years? Is there some sort of Jewish prayer we can say? Or something physical we can cut? I’m open to anything.

CK good to know you’re doing well. And Muffti, if you’re going to ‘Pest, stay away from beautiful women who try to lure you into bars. They’re mafia and will force you to pay by the balls. My advice!

32. Abu Zibby

7/15/2009 at 3:50 pm

Hmm, five. Eight years is still a long way to go. All the best!

33. Yoni C.

7/16/2009 at 6:11 am

congrats CK, this blog has been a staple in my Jewish learning. I’d also like to thank you for the addition of the flickr, now I can scope out fine Jewish girls whenever i feel the urge.

34. josh

7/16/2009 at 12:51 pm

That supposedly Jewish site has an advert from scientology on it. That is creepy.

• ck

7/16/2009 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I just changed my ad filter so that it will stop appearing. It will take about 24 hours to take effect. Do let me know if any other offensive ads ever show up. OR… click on the ads like a mad man and make those bastards pay! Kidding. I can’t really say that because it would be a violation of our terms of service.

35. Jack

7/18/2009 at 5:39 pm

Ok CK,

It is time for you guys to celebrate by hosting another edition of Haveil Havalim. Really, it is the right thing to do. I’ll look for your email. ;)

7/20/2009 at 11:46 pm

You could be reading and not looking by now if your email didn’t bounce Jack.

37. Pingback: Harry Potter & Haveil Havalim #226 « Random Thoughts- Do They Have Meaning?

38. WEVS1

7/23/2009 at 7:16 pm

Mazel Tov!

I know it’s a bit late but wtf, I’ve been busy with my newborn…

39. Pingback: Friday Roundup « The New Centrist

40. freedomfighter

1/23/2010 at 3:55 pm

Richard Silverstein will smear your name all over the internet, with the same affiliated websites and blogs like “LoonWatch” which he runs himself. Then will contact you by an anonymous email asking for 15,000 USD to clean up the mess he started!!! This is BLACKMAIL and should be stopped.
    There’s an ongoing investigation into some of his recent smear activity that is linked to his website Tikun Olam (meaning repairing the world)… His attacks, smears, blackmail are nothing related to repairing the world.. He’s a low life that strives to get attention from internet stories.. but it looks like his days in business are numbered.

• themiddle

1/23/2010 at 8:38 pm

Um, if it’s anonymous, how do you know it’s him?

1/24/2010 at 12:34 am

Richard Silverstein is a dick but I think his douchie behavior is limited to his crappy anti-Israel posts. There’s enough out there to criticize him for that we don’t have to make up shit.

42. Pingback: Monkeys cast as Jews in Russian circus