Hideous Israeli Wedding Dress Awareness Day

Oh, the whorror.

As you may be aware, living in Israel can have serious consequences.  That’s because the State of Israel commits horrible crimes against humanity every day. These manifest themselves in the form of hideous Israeli wedding dresses.  Since we are knee-deep in wedding season, I thought I’d take a moment to remind you that tomorrow is Hideous Israeli Wedding Dress Awareness Day (HIWDAD), a day that was made up by me just about fifteen minutes ago as I was going through Facebook pictures of Israeli weddings.   To be fair, Benji Lovitt has been valiantly fighting this troubling trend for years.

If you are familiar with Israeli weddings, you know this dress has been popular for the past five years or so.  You know, the one with the barely-there middle that seems the be reenacting the parting of the Sea that exists between the bride’s upper chestal region and her navel.  (yes, chestal.)

collection07_sabina10

The 11th plague. Whorrible.

My question is, why do Israeli women do this to themselves?  Ladies, please.  We may be at war with terrorists.  We are not at war with extra fabric.   Russian Israelis are particularly guilty of adopting this look.
Whoreible.
Oh, the whorror.
I’ve heard from several sources in Israel that this look seems to be dying out.  Is it true?
wedding dress 3

Sleepless in Seeattle

Please spread the word.  HIWDAD is a serious day, for a serious cause.

1. themicah

7/28/2009 at 1:23 am

Of course no Jewish girl can legally get married in Israel in any of the above dresses without wearing an extra shawl or other tznius coverup while under the chuppah.

2. Mike Darnell

7/28/2009 at 2:17 am

I salute you as a true activist!
    I think HIWDAD is not only truly worthy of ROIcom backing but also entirely in-line with some of the other projects they’re promoting.

7/28/2009 at 2:39 am

Maybe they do this to set themselves apart from the bulletproof frum wedding dresses? Or maybe to earn more as IRC, there’s a Russian custom to “kidnap” the bride and only release her against cash gifts, so they might be trying to get the hopes of the gentlemen in attendance up.

Get seated though, I’ve foun it can even get worse: uglydress.com/...

4. Yoni C.

7/28/2009 at 6:25 am

worn by the right girls those are beautiful dresses, worn by the wrong girls could be a tragedy.

I will be sure to steer my borderline zoftig cousins from these dresses on their wedding day, by all means necessary!

5. vicki

7/28/2009 at 7:20 am

themicah,
    Which makes me wonder, why are these so popular in the first place?

Mike,
    Grant-worthy. Also maybe a Twitter account? :)

Froylein,
    OH FOR THE LOVE OF LACE.

Yoni,
    Thank you for continuing the awareness and spreading it to your family. Unfortunately, these dresses can impact not only zaftig ladies, but skinny girls as well, and have the unfortunate effect of making them look like they are going to a wedding sponsored by Victoria’s Secret. Only there’s not really any secret.

6. Pingback: Crossposted on Jewlicious | Vicki Boykis

7. Ben-David

7/28/2009 at 7:53 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for posting this.

Israeli fashion has been a running joke between my wife and I since we got here.

I will always remember the day I handed over a check with my whole life savings to the Branch Manager of Bank Leumi’s main Ra’anana office. She (the manager, not my wife!) was wearing a satiny tube top that matched her frosted fingernails and plastic-pearl chandelier earrings.

It’s been downhill since then.

Lycra should be illegal away from the beaches.

8. Lisa R

7/28/2009 at 5:42 pm

I hate to mention this, but these designs aren’t limited to Israel, anyone who’s seen the TV show “Say Yes To the Dress” knows they’re very popular in the US too. They ain’t cheap either.

9. vicki

7/29/2009 at 7:26 am

I didn’t realize they’d spread over to the US, Lisa. When I got married last fall, I guess I wasn’t looking hard enough for Frechaware. Time to take up the fight here as well, I guess.

Ben-David, you’d think “Lycra should be illegal away from the beaches” would be obvious. Alas.

7/29/2009 at 7:48 am

A Turkish student of mine told me the other day her sister was getting a wedding gown like the above ones made in Turkey, bodice set with rhinestones, as it was only 5,000 Euros there. Considering general clothing prices over here, this would compare to a $15,000 dress in the US. I’m not sure what’s common, but that rings me as a lot of money for one-occasion-only dress.

11. Mia*

7/29/2009 at 7:52 am

“Which makes me wonder, why are these so popular in the first place? ”
    To really understand Israel you must understand that much many of it’s founders and pioneers were teens rebelling from their traditional Jewish parents.
    If these dresses and Tel Aviv beach is not a rebellion against tznious, I don’t know what is.
    You see it’s not just “bad taste” it’s deeper and historical.
    Like people are saying “OK so to get you (the rabbinate) to get us married I will cover up under the Chuppa, but the minute you’re gone I’ll strip down to my belly dancers costume and have some fun.”

12. rozi

7/29/2009 at 2:11 pm

i thought this was just a russian jewish thing. i apologize on behalf of my community for subjecting the state of israel to this sluttery.

the 2nd dress (on the runway model) is kinda cute, though.

13. Vicki

7/29/2009 at 9:35 pm

$15,000 for a dress? Egads, froylein. That’s how much whole weddings cost. What is she buying? The Louvre?

Mia, Thank you for your succinct explanation. :)

Rozi, It’s not your fault. Just spread the word. That’s all we can do against this plague. :)

14. Mia*

7/30/2009 at 12:37 am

Oh by the way, when I was shopping for a dress for my sisters wedding I tried an evening dress in the same style just for fun.
    It was not comfortable at all, and that synthetic lace is itchy.
    BTW I especially hate the last one.

7/30/2009 at 3:32 am

Is that a bridebot?

Vicki, all that bling has got its price. ;)

16. Tom Morrissey

7/30/2009 at 9:34 am

I think the men who’ve commented on this post deserve praise for being so self-accepting and comfortable with their sexuality.

17. vicki

7/30/2009 at 12:45 pm

That now includes you, Tom. ;)

18. Pingback: Jewlicious » Jews can’t marry in Israel

19. What War Zone???

7/31/2009 at 7:47 pm

Wow, a shout out from Vicki AND ck??? I leave for 2 months and look what happens!!!

Shabbat shalom, dudes!

20. Sara

8/13/2009 at 10:45 pm

wow my dad would never let me wear that!

Personal Wedding Website

21. s faith

10/23/2009 at 6:54 am

hmm its not only the wedding dresses that are an abomination have you not seen the ghastly synthetic shiny satin suits worn by the chatans. often plastered with diamante rhinestones and embroidery they are probably the most horrible garments ever made, so different fron the top hat and tails sported by my own dear husband !

22. Pingback: Israeli Wedding Blogs! « Adam & Susan are Getting MARRIED!

23. Judyk

12/7/2009 at 10:17 pm

not really a comment, but who knows, maybe some kind soul will answer this query. Been invited to an Israeli wedding. Can’t go — wrong side of the ocean. What sort of gift would be appropriate to send?
    P.S. — I can guarantee that this bride won’t qualify for the wedding dress horror prizes. A real sweetie.
    Plus,who could top Benjii Lovitt’s entry?

12/8/2009 at 2:32 am

Hi JudyK! Gift Registries don’t happen here and so you are left to your own devices when buying gifts. So here are some ideas if you consider cash to gauche… do not buy them Judaica unless you know the couple well. Israel is, as expected, awash in Judaica! I would recommend gift certificates from Ikea or Ace Hardware where they can get stuff they need. It’s not cash but it’s still very handy!

25. Polina Ruderman

5/18/2010 at 8:54 pm

I specialize in designing tznius/modest wedding dresses but many non frum Jewish girls ask me to make them non tznius dresses because they don’t dress tznius. The truth is everyone is raised diffidently and we should not judge.

26. Lauren

5/24/2010 at 8:54 am

judge shmudge. I live in Israel and recently got engaged. Yes, the wedding is here in the hummusland and I AM TERRIFIED that I will wind up in one of these transparent corseted, rhinestoned monstrosities. Thanks for bringing awarness to the cause. (but if I do wind up in one of these, I’ll be sure to send you pictures, to save the next poor Jewish girl from undergoing this trauma).

27. I love the bare skin effect in these designs very unique, lets face it, this is your chance to be different! Great work!

28. Wedding Bands Melbourne

8/15/2010 at 9:55 pm

They have a beautiful designs but I don’t think everyone should wear that kind of wedding gowns. Maybe those would love it.

29. wedding gown

9/4/2010 at 11:53 pm

wow ………. I am going to gift that dress to my sister as her anniversary gift.. i like it so much. she will look very cute in that dress…

30. Vencanice Beograd

12/24/2010 at 10:31 am

Well… I like those dresses… specially the one on the pic no 3.

31. Catie

1/22/2011 at 11:19 pm

I love the second dress! but agree the others are pretty bad. But what’s wrong with the second one!

32. Orit

3/20/2011 at 5:28 pm

So true!!!! This is the funniest article ever!

33. vencanice

3/23/2011 at 12:59 pm

Nice dresses, I preffer the first one.

34. Pingback: Wedding season | ISRAELITY

35. Pingback: Wedding Dress Mistakes (or things that should have never seen the light of day) « Jaded Bride

36. Mor

9/15/2011 at 7:37 pm

Since you like to ridicule, and judge…I will fight fire with fire, here is my two cents: You’re pathetic for even posting such nonsense.

37. Jasmin Texon

11/30/2011 at 5:13 pm

You are so wrong for this article. These dresses are beautiful in every way, and remind me of my favorite dress designer Galit Couture. You need to remember you are not CATHOLIC but JEWISH !!!!!!!!!

38. vencanice

2/6/2013 at 3:43 am

I thing this post is so nice. My favorit is 2 nd wedding dress.