Chinese Discover Key to Jewish Money Smarts: The Talmud

The Chinese are so obsessed with notions of innate Jewish business acumen that last year’s Google Zeitgeist China rankings listed “why are Jews excellent?” in fourth place in the “why” questions category, just behind “why should I enter the party” and above “why should I get married?” Newsweek reports that this apparent affection for Jewishness has manifested in the publication of a slew of brisk selling books that purport to reveal the business secrets of the Talmud (Text of early rabbinic writings pertaining to Jewish law, ethics, philosophy, customs and history).

Available titles include Crack the Talmud: 101 Jewish Business Rules, The Illustrated Jewish Wisdom Book, and Know All of the Money-Making Stories of the Talmud. One can even spend the night at a Talmud Hotel inTaichung, Taiwan, which replaces the Gideon’s Bible with the Talmud Business Success Bible. It’s actually a pretty sharp looking hotel, and in keeping with strict Talmudic business strictures, offers free Wifi.

Han Bing, the (pseudonymous) author of Crack the Talmud, says a series on the “Jewish Bible” by a prominent publisher made him realize that “ancient Jews and today’s Chinese face a lot of the same problems,” such as immigration and isolation. The business rules he lists include such unsurprising—and universal—exhortations as “tell a customer about defects,” “help more people,” and “a partnership based on emotions is not dependable.”

Where does this admiration for Jews come from? Well apparently half the Westerners active in Mao Zedong’s China were Jewish. The richest non-Chinese in greater China is Jewish – Michael Kadoorie whose family arrived in China in the 19th century is worth an estimated $5 billion.

Of course the Talmud is not a guide on how to get rich quick. But after decades of buying shoddy Chinese products, it’s kind of refreshing to read that the Chinese buy crap too. Anyone want to translate my book Shakshuka and High Finance; A Moroccan Jewish Kabbalah Guide to Prosperity and Happiness into Mandarin? We’ll make a friggin killing!

1. Jesse Caldwell

12/31/2010 at 7:24 pm

I think China’s infatuation with anything not chinese is pretty high right now.

2. Melissa

1/1/2011 at 1:26 am

That makes sense. Who better than the Chinese know what utter crap the Chinese manufacture? I did have an eggroll the other day that was quite tasty but I’m pretty sure it was made by a Mexican. I guess that doesn’t count.

3. Noa

1/1/2011 at 8:12 am

“Shakshuka and High Finance; A Moroccan Jewish Kabbalah Guide to Prosperity and Happiness”

You kid BUT the chinese have NOTHING on Marrakchi Jews.
    The book should be “Dafina, Baksheesh and how to make benefits off of everything but pay nothing”

My sister majored in chinese (born in casablanca…) so I’m set! Thanks for the idea HAMAR hehehe
    (just joking)

4. Adam

1/2/2011 at 3:11 am

Love this topic. Here’s a related article from the Washington Post about a series of anonymously-authored books explaining why Jews are good at business: wapo.st/gMhPG0

5. Jay Banks

1/3/2011 at 11:53 am

I can’t believe this stuff, It’s hilarious how the Chinese love this stuff.Read the Washington Post post from Adam too. Chinese were a manufacture, but now they’re transforming their economy and their thinking, too. Maybe they found out that all of the riches of the western world are thanks to the Jewish business rules, and they just have to know it!

6. Charly

1/4/2011 at 8:56 am

You re forgetting something important here:

Jews or Jewish people in Chinese is : 犹太人 (YO TAI REN) which translated means : people of abundance

so you see the origin of the fascination

7. teteotete

1/5/2011 at 2:14 pm

tetetotete.tum...

i JUST went to china and wrote about this. Check the last para: FUN FACT

8. teteotete

1/5/2011 at 2:50 pm

also a photo from the museum…
    tetetotete.tum...

9. Pingback: JewsNews 14 | Kolòt

10. Martik

12/26/2013 at 2:40 pm

Online course in Jewish Business Law and Practice may be reached via jewishbusiness.livejournal.com !