Every beginning is tough, and this is no exception. Itâ€™s my first Shabbat in Durham, NC. I am home alone in a strangerâ€™s house (she generously and graciously is letting me stay, so props for that!), and there are many unfamiliar noises I keep hearing consistently, every few minutesâ€¦as if someone is walking on the roof and someone else is rummaging through my clothes and suitcases on the floor. Paranoid much? I think so. I keep imagining that the juke-monster has traveled from Tel Aviv to North Carolina, to destroy my life (or at least, to destroy my sleeping patterns).
Shabbat #1 in the South-East:
Couldnâ€™t find a match or a light; therefore, did not light Shabbat candles
Posted desperately on Israeli and Jewish Facebook pages of this area
Looked through pictures of family and friends from all over the world
Listened to Israeli music
Dinner was a bag of snacks (my last oneâ€¦ Thank G-d I brought so much for the plane). Reasons:
- Nobody invited me to Shabbat dinner (especially disappointing, since there are three Israelis working at my jobsite. They all know I am here alone, and didnâ€™t think to consider me tonightâ€¦Why like this?!)
- There is no food in this house
- There is no restaurant or grocery store within walking distance
- I donâ€™t have a car (yet)
- I literally do not know anyone here (other than my boss, and co-workers who I met yesterday) so I canâ€™t make anyone bring me food. Or wine. Or both.
So, it could have been a lot worse, but it could have been a lot better. I am sure my next Shabbat (crossing fingers) will be better than this.
Oh and for those of you who said itâ€™s much cheaper hereâ€¦ you are greatly mistaken. So far, apartment rent is only slightly less than that of LA, food is the same price, and gas is only slightly cheaper. In spite of this, my mind is not wrapped around cost. Maybe itâ€™s because I have anÂ MBA , which at least makes me feelÂ bad ass.
On a brighter note, I have a new car, computer, phone, and JOB (minor details) so I know I sound like a whiny bitch, but get over it. Iâ€™m allowed every once in a while.
Furthermore, I hear that Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (The Triangle) have great live music performances. Maybe I will even getÂ The Mowgli’sÂ out here on their next tour.
Israel and Los Angeles, I miss your faces. Visit me?